Saturday, November 14, 2009

48 Hour Film Race

I truly enjoyed this assignment! I actually like having to work with all of the constraints. It forces you to be creative, and honestly some of my best work has come from being under time constraints such as these. I have always found the Dogme 95 stuff fascinating and exciting. I am glad I have had the opportunity to work with these sorts of limitations in this class. Not only this specific project, but, pretty much every single project that we have been assigned in this class. It has given me a completely different perspective on filmmaking. I am actually pretty content with the product that came from this race!

My idea actually spawned from my previous project in Modes of Animation, in which I also used barbies and did stop motion animation. On the last shot of that project, which was the second story out of two animations that I shot for that specific project, I was infuriated by the fact that the dolls just wouldn’t stay standing and they kept falling and knocking over the props. I had to keep starting entire sequences over and re-shooting them entirely. It was exhausting and without a doubt, TEDIOUS. The Donald Trump doll fell on the last shot and enraged with frustration I had a temper tantrum. I slammed him down on the floor, and unlike the barbies who are made of a solid, rubbery plastic, he broke into a million pieces. My roommates were a bit weirded out by the fact that there were tiny body parts scattered around our house. I threw most of them away, but I left his hand strategically placed around the house, just as a joke (that was apparently just strange). After that night, I told myself that I would never do this stop motion animation stuff ever again.

When we got the jars, immediately this idea came to my head. I stuck the hand in one of them, and put some of the Barbie heads in them too. But, I still needed more body parts because I had 6 jars. So, I began cutting the barbies into bits…needless to say I felt like a serial killer getting rid of the evidence and such…or maybe mobsters, Tony Soprano and Christopher chopping up Ralph…or even Christian Slater chopping up a stripper and a bell boy and dumping them in the dessert…awkardddd. And barbies actually have this piece of white plastic in the interior of their limbs under the rubbery stuff. It looked like bone…ughhh it was a little sickening. And, Halloween had just passed so I had a lot of fake eyelashes sitting around, so I utilized them too! I think that everyone ended up being very weirded out by me, I guess it was a bit strange? I don’t know. But, I like it…I would actually like to continue it and add some more to it. It is so short…although short and sweet is good sometimes. I am really getting into this stop motion animation stuff. It is sooo much fun! I am definitely going to do more!

The tent making night was sooooooo much fun. Some of the most fun I have ever had in a class in college. EVER! Everyone’s projects were so different, and so awesome! I was really impressed with them. I felt like we were all soo relaxed that it was easier to speak freely and discuss eachother’s projects with one another. I hope we can do something like that again before the semester is over. I just don’t want it to end : (. This is my last semester in college and I am soooo sad…im really glad I took this class, because I believe it has truly helped me as a filmmaker. I feel much more at ease about creating my own films outside of school once I graduate…I feel much more confident!

No comments:

Post a Comment