Thursday, October 29, 2009

Yes Men

Wellll....that was certainly not what I was expecting it to be. It actually had me a bit anxious at times because I couldnt believe that they were not only doing the things that they were doing, but they were also getting away with it. It is genius to take a site that has an almost identical url to another and replicate it. There have been so many times that I have typed in an almost exact url that is only off by one letter and I have only noticed my mistake merely because I have been sent to a completely different site, or a site that does not exist. If I were to be sent to a site that looked official Im sure I would be fooled as people were with the site these guys created. This is actually quite frightening, because if someone did this with a site that you ordered things off of, you could easily give your credit card info and other important info to complete strangers….well I guess this has really happened and I am the fool just realizing one of the methods by which this is done. Anywho, I found this film fascinating. I loved hearing about all of their previous endeavors before these projects, such as the Barbie and g.i. joe doll switch up. This was fantastic, but Im not sure if I misunderstood….but did they intend that to be a call to gender role battles and such as it came off to people….or was it just a humorous joke.

What I find the most fantastic is that these guys are actually out there doing something that many people around the world could appreciate. Its so great to not really by lying about who they are (because their site and group does exist)….but at the same time come off as the World Trade Organization and give them this negative look that people have not realized. They are dishonest with us, so it almost seems as if this is just fair, an eye for an eye, to be underhandedly, well in my opinion it is genius, getting the word out there. (woah, too many commas to maybe understand that) But, since they are being so sneaky about what they are up to, that is, the WTO, then I don’t feel like it is wrong. If we honestly don’t have any sort of hand in the decision making of our country that this group makes, then why should they have any control over these sort of matters and the way in which they are being portrayed to people. I mean I get why they would be mad….but I mean we should be mad as hell too! Im so inspired by this sort of activism…because it is appealing to people because it is funny…but funny because it is picking on a giant organization that pretty much deserves to be picked on.

No comments:

Post a Comment