Thursday, October 8, 2009

48-Hour Film RACEEEE

Well, this weekend I will be attempting to shoot my bumper for modes of animation. I am going to ATTEMPT to do a stop animation film, but I have never done this before, so I will have to see how it goes. If it turns out alright I think that I would like to do this same sort of technique for the 48-hour video race. Im not sure if this is a bad idea or not, in terms of it being a time consuming project. Although, I think that it would be even more difficult to make a rotoscope animation in 48 hours. Wowza! That would be stressful for sure. I plan to use some sort of digital camera to shoot stills for my animation. I would prefer to use film stills, but due to the time restraints I don’t think this would be do-able. Also, it will be more efficient to use a digital camera since I can see what I like and what I don’t like before I shoot it and it is too late, as with film cameras. But, in terms of subject matter I am just not sure. I guess that will all depend on the prop that we are given. It might be kind of cool to work with human actors rather than figures, like we did in the pixilation project. The only issue that may arise with this is the time constraint, because figures/toys/etc are easier to manipulate and work with than actual people.
If it turns out that I am pretty terrible at this method, or I just don’t like the look of it, I will have to resort to a different method. I really don’t want to take on the rotoscope thing, seeing as I have two rotoscope projects that I will just be finishing with this race begins. But, it is an option, and it is a fun option, just verrrrry time consuming. Would a found footage project count as this cameraless filmmaking, because that is always an option. Found footage, combined with maybe some film scratching and manipulation. Ultimately, I would like to do the stop animation thing along with a mixture of these methods. I would like to take another shot at working with bleach, paint, and scratching on film, but mixing it in with the animation. Maybe even layering it in over the stop animation and possible rotoscope. It could actually be pretty cool to integrate all of these things to create a dynamic image with many layers. Layering images has always been something I incorporate in many of my films that I have created and edited, so why not now. I have just never worked with the integration of these specific methods of filmmaking, especially any sort of animation.
I like working with deadlines, because it makes me get things done. But, it is also very stressful, so I wonder how this project will be on the nerves? I have a feeling it is going to be nerve wrecking. The only upside is that we are working alone, thus, we only have to depend on ourselves to get the thing finished. On the filpside, working alone is a bit intimidating because ultimately, what is shown to an audience is strictly you, no one else. That’s definitely a scary and invigorating thought. I am just curious to what the prop will be. I guess this limitation thing is much like that Dogme 95, where they have all of those things that they cannot do, such as use artificial light, no props, only hand-held, no non-diegetic sound, and etc. I thought this sounded ridiculous when I first heard about it, but then I saw one of the films and I was fascinated by it. It was actually really cool. It was such a bizarre film narratively, and you can’t help but just watch everything, knowing that there were all those limitations and it still looks that good. It is pretty amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment