Thursday, October 15, 2009

AHHHH the Lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnng take

I am actually extremely happy with the way that the Bolex shoot went this weekend. I was a little hesitant about the idea that we came up with, the whole, magic tent idea. We were a bit worried that we would not have enough time to make it make any sense. But, when we started rehearsing it, it actually ended up working perfectly. It was so much fun knowing that we were under that much pressure to not only make the time, but also perform it correctly without any mishaps. I was thinking that it would be hectic and stressful for us, but everything went really smoothly. We got our props set up quickly and we had a pretty simply camera movement. We just put the camera on the tripod and panned back and forth with the action, which proved to be very efficient for our time dilemma. It was easy and it looked really awesome! The writing on the tent was also clear enough to read in the background. It was difficult to see when we watched it on the projector in class, but I wonder if everything is in focus. From what I could see it was. So, I am really proud of the way this project turned out, because I am still a little hesitant about the way that our multi plane animation looked in the raw footage. It was much faster than any of the other group's projects. How in the world did we manage to mess that up?!! I mean it looked nice visually, because of the colors and such, but it was just wayyyy to fast. And we even shot off 3 frames on each position. I began shooting my stop animation project for modes of animation, and I haven't gotten a chance to run it through final cut at regular speed yet, so I am a bit worried at the moment. I hope I won't have to re-shoot. Anybody have any pointers?

Anyways, the last time that I shot on 16mm was in Intermediate Documentary, and we had shot inside. So our film turned out really awesome, but it was a little darker than we had anticipated (and we had used so much light, too). So I was a bit concerned with what would happen on an outdoor shoot, seeing as I had never done this before. In my opinion, we got everything perfect. The lighting was great! This gave me confidence to use the Bolex for my 495 project. So I went and ordered the film the next day. Although, I got the tri-x 100 reversal rather than the film that we used.
I am curious to see what everything will look like once it has been inverted and the speed is changed. This is not the portion of the project that I have been assigned to, so I can't wait to see it! I would really like to see all of the other group's raw footage, hopefully we will look at it in class this week!

I am a bit excited about the 48 hour film race after this shoot, because it definitely gave me that rush of having a short period to make a deadline. Although, working alone may be difficult to conjure up ideas so quickly (I hope not). I thought it was soo great to push ourselves during this bolex shoot. We had that ticking clock lingering over us, because we kept being reminded that we only had 40 min....30 min....20min....aghhh. Although, at the time it is a bit maddening, when it is finished it is a bit of a rush with a sense of accomplishment....achieving our goal!

No comments:

Post a Comment